Approved 11/26/96, Amended 6/17/97, 7/23/02, 3/22/05, 9/26/06, 4/26/11, 12/16/14, 11/16/15, 2/27/18, 01/28/20.
The mission of the Pataskala Public Library is to stimulate people's imaginations, connect to the online world, and help students achieve in school. We shall further this mission by offering Internet access through the Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN). We endorse intellectual freedom as stated in the American Library Association’s Access to Electronic Information Services and Networks.
Internet Acceptable Use Policy
The Pataskala Public Library, in keeping with its mission, provides public Internet access via its network and public workstations to all users. This service may be used to access any resource, engage in any communication, or conduct any activity available on the Internet provided such activity can be done with standard web browsers, with these exceptions:
- You may not send, receive, or display text or graphics that may reasonably be construed as obscene.
- You may not use this resource for any illegal purpose.
- You may not in any way alter, reconfigure, or damage the public workstations of the Pataskala Public Library.
- You may not modify or gain access to files, passwords, or data belonging to others. This includes seeking unauthorized access to any computer system or damaging or altering software components of any network, host server, or database.
Because this is a public resource, the rights of others must be respected and therefore:
- Access to the public workstations will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Time on the public workstations is limited to one-hour sessions, which can be extended depending upon demand.
- Cellphone conversations at the public workstations should be kept to a minimum.
- Users must use headphones to listen to audio content at the workstations. The volume must be kept at a level that does not disturb other users. Earbuds can be purchased at the front desk for $1.00.
- Users must be considerate of others using the library and the public workstations by regulating their behavior and what they access online to ensure that they do not interfere with others’ enjoyment of the library and its resources.
- To protect the privacy and undisturbed use of OPLIN by all patrons, only one user is permitted at a computer at one time. Exceptions must be approved by library staff and will be based on the genuine need of the user (minor with parent supervising, patron with disabilities, etc.)
- Minors are to use public workstations on children’s side first. Adults must use public workstations on adult side. However, exceptions may be approved by library staff for a patron to use either side depending on the circumstances.
- A guest pass is available for any user that does not have a library card from Pataskala Public Library. A photo I.D. is required to sign up for a guest pass. Parent/s and/or guardian/s must sign the OPLIN/Internet Access Permission Form when they sign up a minor for a guest pass.
In order to prevent viruses, protect the integrity of our workstations, and ensure that workstations will serve the greatest number of people, we ask that the following guidelines be observed:
- Do not install software of any kind or download any plug-ins without prior approval from library staff.
- Do not save or download files except to a USB drive or other external device. USB drives can be purchased at the front desk for $2.00.
- Take precautions to protect private information by logging out of email accounts and other online resources before leaving a workstation.
- The Internet is a global entity, with a highly diverse user population. Library patrons use it at their own risk.
- The library assumes no responsibility for any damages, direct or indirect, arising from its connection to the Internet.
- The library makes no guarantees, either expressed or implied, with respect to the quality of content or the information available on the Internet.
- The provision of access to the Internet does not mean or imply that the library endorses or sanctions the content or views and opinions found on the Internet.
- The library cannot protect individuals from information and images which they might find offensive or disturbing.
- Parent/s and/or guardian/s must give written consent for a minor to use a public workstation and are solely responsible for the content that their minor children access via the Internet.
- Use of the public workstations and/or the Internet at the Pataskala Public Library implies a reasonable level of competency on the part of the user. The library staff is able to offer assistance in the use of its technology as time and resources permit.
- Misuse of the Library’s internet or its public workstations may result in the loss of internet and computing privileges.